In Blogger, Google indexes the Archives and Labels pages in search results which creates a duplicate content issue. Google takes strict action against duplicate content i.e if you have more than one URL pointing to a same page.
So, it is advised to no-index your Blogger Labels and Archives pages so your blog won’t get penalized by the search engine.
So, lets do this one by one. In this Blogger tutorial, I will show you how to prevent duplicate content issue by telling search engine not to index archive pages and label pages. Let’s proceed.
How to Avoid indexing of Archive pages in Blogger
- Go to your Blogger dashboard and select your blog.
- At the left side, Click Theme > Edit HTML.
- Find the <head> tag. Place your mouse cursor anywhere in the code, and press Ctrl+F and search <head>.
- Just below the <head> tag, paste the below code.
<b:if cond=’data:blog.pageType == "archive"’>
<meta content=’noindex,noarchive’ name=’robots’/>
- Click Save theme. Press Hide warning before saving the theme.
The above code will tell the search engine to stop indexing Archive pages. Your already indexed archives pages will disappear from the search results after sometime. It could take about 2 months.
How to Avoid indexing of Labels in Blogger
- Go to your Blogger dashboard.
- At the left side, Click Settings > Search Preferences.
- Scroll down till you find Crawlers and indexing section.
- Under Custom robots.txt, enable it if disabled. Click Edit.
- Add the below code.
Disallow: /search/labels/ Allow: /
That’s it. This will tell search engine to exclude crawling and indexing labels pages of your blog. The robots.txt file is an important file for every blog and you should add custom robots.txt file.
If you haven’t added one, you can do so by first creating a sitemap for your blogger blog and then add it to robots.txt file, learn how to do it here.