The good thing is that there are many ways you can recover a lost password in WordPress. In this article, you’ll get to know about all of them.
Read this article if your WordPress account/password is hacked
Recover lost Password in WordPress via Email
This is the simplest way to recover a lost WordPress password. If you’re not able to log in to your WordPress account due to the incorrect password, then go with this method.
- Go to your WordPress login screen. i.e http://example.com/wp-admin. (Replace example.com with your domain URL).
- At the login screen, click on Lost your Password? link. (see screenshot below)
- Now, you’ll be asked to enter either your username or email address. Your email address should be one that you used while installing WordPress on your site. Then, click Get New Password.
- WordPress will send you an email containing reset password link to your registered email ID.
- Click on that link. This will redirect you to a page where you can reset a new password.
- A strong password will be automatically generated by WordPress. Change that to your own password. Make sure the password strength is strong. You can choose a weak password but that is not recommended.
- After entering the password, click Reset Password.
This way, you’ll be able to recover your WordPress password if you have forgotten it. Next time you log in, use the newly created password.
Read Also: How to use FTP account in WordPress
Reset Password in WordPress via phpMyAdmin
WordPress users can reset the password using phpMyAdmin database. This method comes handy if:
- WordPress fails to send reset password email.
- Your WordPress account is hacked.
- You don’t remember your username or password.
- You don’t have access to your registered email address.
Follow the steps below to recover lost password in WordPress:
- Login to Cpanel dashboard of your hosting account.
- Open phpMyAdmin ( found under database section).
- Click on your WordPress database on the left side.
- Click on wp-users.
- You’ll see your WordPress user information such as username, password, etc.
- Click Edit next to your user.
- Under user_pass, set its function value to MD5 and overwrite the new password inside the value field. Use a case-sensitive password.
- Click Go.
Congrats! You have successfully reset your WordPress password using phpMyAdmin.
Reset WordPress Password using MySQL
- On your cPanel dashboard, open phpMyAdmin.
- Select your WordPress database.
- Open the table wp-users on the left side.
- Go to SQL or MySQL section.
- Run the below query.
UPDATE `wp_users` SET `user_pass`= MD5('password') WHERE `user_login`='username';
Replace password with your new password and username with your WordPress username.
- Execute the query by clicking the Go button at the bottom-right corner.
That’s it. You can use any of the above-mentioned methods to recover your lost password in WordPress.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What if I don’t remember my WordPress username and password?
A: Don’t Worry. You can still reset your password even if you don’t have your username and password. Just follow the second method above i.e Reset your password using phpMyAdmin.
Q: How do I log into Cpanel?
A: To log into your hosting cPanel, visit http://yoursitedomain.com/cpanel or you find your cPanel URL in the email sent to you at the time when you purchased hosting. Username and password can be found in that mail.
Q: What to do if my WordPress site is hacked?
A: In such cases, it is highly advised to contact your hosting provider. They’ll definitely help you to recover your WordPress website.