Welcome to TechPosts, In this WordPress tutorial, I will show you how to uninstall your WordPress theme.
There are two different ways to uninstall a theme in WordPress. The first method lets you uninstall and deactivate theme from WordPress Dashboard while the second method is for advanced users for which you need an FTP client – FileZilla tool.
It is always recommended to uninstall themes which are currently not in use because of security reasons and limited server space in your hosting. WordPress themes are updated regularly, so if for any reason your WordPress themes ( even inactive ones) are not updated, they might become vulnerable to malicious attacks. But as long as you keep them updated, you should not be concerned with any of these security issues.
Read Also: How to upload Plugins in WordPress
Uninstall Theme via WordPress Theme Directory
- Login to your WordPress dashboard if you’re logged out, by typing http://yourdomainname.com/wp-admin in the address bar. Replace yourdomainname.com with your actual domain name.
- Now go to Appearance > Themes.
- Now find the theme you would like to uninstall/delete. Hover the mouse over it and click on it to see the details of the theme.
- Now click the Delete button located at the bottom right corner. Click Yes to confirm.
Uninstall WordPress Themes via FTP (FileZilla)
Use this method if you know how to upload files to your server using an FTP account. You will need an FTP Software like FileZilla Client in order to delete a WordPress Themes. You can even access FTP from your hosting c-panel. Follow the steps mentioned below:
- First, you need to login to your FTP account via FileZilla.
- Now navigate to the theme folder which is wp-content/themes.
- Here you will find the theme folders that are already installed on your WordPress site. Select the theme which you want to delete.
- Right-click on the folder and click Delete to permanently remove the theme.
That’s it for this WordPress tutorial. You can choose any of the above-mentioned methods to delete or uninstall a WordPress Theme.
If you have queries related to WordPress, feel free to ask by leaving a comment below.