In this WordPress Guide, you will learn 3 different ways to install WordPress Plugins on your site. After installing WordPress theme, you can install WordPress plugins to add new features to your website. WordPress plugins help you to change the functionality of your site without having any knowledge of coding.
In this article, I have mentioned #3 different methods using which you can install WordPress Plugins.
#1: Search and Install WordPress Plugins from Plugin Directory
This is the easiest method to install a WordPress Plugin on your site. There are hundreds of free plugins available in the WordPress Plugin directory. Free plugins provide limited functionality, so always check the reviews and since how long the plugin is not updated. If the plugin hasn’t been updated for years, that means the developer no longer interested in
Free plugins provide limited functionality, so always check the reviews and since how long the plugin is not updated. If the plugin hasn’t been updated for years, that means the plugin is not compatible with the latest version of WordPress.
Read: How to uninstall or delete WordPress Theme.
Step by Step guide to installing WordPress Plugin from Plugin Directory
- Login to your wp-admin dashboard by visiting “domainname/wp-admin”. Replace domain name with your real domain name.
- In the sidebar, hover your mouse over the Plugins and click on Add New.
- Now you are in the Plugin directory, here you can find hundreds of free plugins. Type the name of the plugin in the search bar. In my case, I searched for Contact Form Plugin.
- Now click on the Plugin you want to install, read the documentation and reviews before installing any plugin. Now click on Install Now button.
- WordPress will start installing the plugin, Click Activate to activate the plugin.
That’s it. Your Plugin is successfully installed and activated.
#2: Upload a Plugin zip file via the WordPress Dashboard
This method is generally used if you have downloaded a Premium WordPress plugin from third-party sites. To install the plugin, you need to upload the .zip file to your WordPress site.
- Go to WordPress dashboard. Hover the mouse over Plugins and click Add New.
- In the next screen, click Upload Plugin button at the top.
- Click choose file and browse and select the .zip file from your computer. Then click Install Now button.
- Now your plugin will be installed. Now you need to activate the plugin by clicking the Activate Plugin link on the next screen.
Congrats! You have successfully uploaded your plugin zip file.
#3: Manually Upload or Install a WordPress Plugin via FTP (FileZilla)
This is the most advanced method for installing WordPress Plugins. You need an FTP client software – FileZilla to manually upload files to your website. This method is least recommended for beginners. If you have any problem in connecting to your FTP account, you can contact your hosting provider. They will configure your account.
Before uploading plugin via FTP, unzip your downloaded plugin folder using Winrar. Now follow the steps mentioned below:
- Using FileZilla, login to your FTP account.
- Go to wp-admin/plugins directory.
- Upload the unzipped plugin folder from your PC to wp-admin/plugins/ directory. It will automatically install the plugin.
- Now go to your WordPress dashboard. In the sidebar, Go to Plugins > Installed Plugins.
- You will find your uploaded plugin here, Click Activate to activate the plugin.
Great! You have successfully uploaded or installed a WordPress Plugin via FTP.
That’s it from this WordPress Guide, I would recommend you to use the first 2 methods for installing WordPress Plugins.
If you have any issues regarding installing and activating WordPress Plugins, let me know by leaving a comment below.
If you liked this article, please follow and subscribe HowToArticle on Twitter, Facebook, and Google Plus.