Welcome back to another WordPress Guide, In this tutorial, I will show you how to delete a theme in WordPress. There are two different ways to remove or uninstall a WordPress theme. The first method is uninstalling a WordPress theme via WordPress Dashboard while the second method is for advanced users i.e deleting WordPress theme via FTP.
It is recommended to uninstall themes which are currently not in use because of security reasons and limited server space for. WordPress themes and plugins are updated regularly, If for any reason your WordPress themes ( even currently inactive) are not updated, they might become vulnerable to malicious attacks. But as long as you keep them updated, you should not be concerned with security.
Do you know there are three different ways to install a WordPress Theme?
How to Uninstall WordPress Theme via WordPress Dashboard
- Login to your WordPress dashboard by typing http://yourdomainname.com/wp-admin in the address bar. Replace yourdomainname.com with your actual domain name.
- Now go to Appearance > Themes.
- Now locate the theme you would like to uninstall. Hover the mouse over it and click on it to see the details of the theme.
- Now click the Delete button located at the bottom right corner. Click Yes to confirm.
That’s it. Your WordPress Theme is deleted successfully.
How to delete a WordPress Theme via FTP ( File Transfer Protocol )
You need an FTP Software like FileZilla Client in order to delete or uninstall a WordPress Themes. You can even access FTP from your hosting c-panel. Follow the steps mentioned below:
- First, you need to login to your hosting server via FileZilla.
- Now navigate to the theme folder which is wp-content/themes.
- Here you will find the theme folders that are already installed on your WordPress site. Select the theme which you want to delete.
- Right-click on the folder and click Delete to permanently uninstall the theme.
That’s it from this WordPress Guide. You can choose any of the above-mentioned methods to delete or uninstall a WordPress Theme
If you have doubts or queries related to WordPress, feel free to ask by leaving a comment below.