Setting up a strong password is very important to protect your Windows 10 PC from hackers. People often make mistakes by using the same password for every account. I would advise you to change this habit immediately and having a different password for different account saves your other accounts information too if any one of your account details has been leaked or breached. It’s best to use a password with a combination of character, numbers and symbols.
In this article, I will teach you 3 different ways to set up or change your user account password in Windows 10 operating system.
Read also: How to use local account instead of Microsoft account in Win 10
Setup / Change your user account Password in Win 10
1 Click on the Start menu and search for Account in the search field and select Manage your Account option.
2. Click the Sign in options from the left side.
3. Under the Password Section, click on Change button.
- If you are using a local account, Windows will ask you to enter your current password. After entering the old one, create a new password and re-enter it. It is recommended to create a strong password with a combination of character, letter and symbol. Click Next and Finish to change your local account password.
- If you are using a Microsoft Account, it will ask you to sign in to your Microsoft Account. Enter your old password (Microsoft Account) and then enter a new password and re-enter it. You will see a successful message. This will change your login screen password as well as your Microsoft Account password.
Read: How to bypass the Windows 10 Lock Screen
How to Change your Win 10 Password to a PIN
Users can set a PIN as Password only if they are signed in to their Microsoft Account.
- Open Manage your Accounts using the above-mentioned steps and then click to Sign in options.
- Under PIN section, Click on Add button.
- Sign in to your Microsoft account using the current password and click Sign in.
- On “Set up a PIN” screen, enter a new PIN and then re-enter it to confirm PIN. Click OK.
Note: You can use this PIN to login to your Windows device, apps and services.
How to Use / Add a Picture Password
- Click on “Sign in options” after opening Manage your Accounts settings from the start menu.
- Under Picture Password, click Add.
- Enter the password for your Microsoft Account and click OK.
- Now click the Choose Picture button on the next screen. Browse and select the picture from your PC. Note: Use a high-quality, full-screen image.
- Then select the “Use this picture” button to continue or Select “Choose New Picture” button to try another image.
- Now, you’ll be asked to draw three gestures on the photos. Confirm the gestures by redrawing them.
Important: Remember these gestures as you would need to draw these gestures over the photo in order to log in to your Windows screen.
Windows is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in all over the world and this article is written for education and safety purpose.
Read more articles:
If you have queries regarding this Windows tips, leave a comment below.