The first thing you need to do after starting a WordPress Website is to add your WordPress site to Google Search Console ( “previously known as Google Webmaster tools” ). In this way, Google will know about your website and help you to get your website found on the web search results.
Google Search Console is a free tool offered by Google for Webmasters. It allows webmasters optimize and maintains their site’s presence in the search results. It provides detailed reports about your website such as indexing status, Crawl stats, and errors, keyword position, security issues, etc.
Adding your Website URL to Google Search Console is the first step towards SEO. In this article, I will teach you how to submit your WordPress site URL to google webmaster tools and verify your website ownership.
How to add a WordPress Site to Google Search Console
- Sign in to Google Webmaster Tools using your Google account. You can use your Gmail account to login or else create a new google account.
- Click on “ADD A PROPERTY” button, enter your website URL and then click Add.
- On the next screen, Google will ask you to verify the website’s ownership.
If you Website URL or domain name is example.com, then write like http://example.com/ or https://example.com/ if you have SSL enabled domain.
Read: How to Submit XML Sitemap to Google
How to Verify WordPress Site to Google Webmaster tools
The next step you need to perform is to verify the ownership of your Site in search console. There are several methods to verify the site. I have discussed some of them below. Use any one of the methods for verification.
1. HTML File Upload Verification
This is the recommended method to verify WordPress site with Google. You need to upload an HTML file to the WordPress root directory using Cpanel File Manager.
- Select HTML file upload option, and download the HTML verification file.
- Login to your Cpanel account and go to Files > File Manager > public_html.
- Now, upload the downloaded HTML files inside the public_html directory.
- Go back to the google search console and click on the VERIFY button.
2. HTML Tag
- Select the HTML tag option and copy the meta tag code.
- Head over to your WordPress Dashboard. Navigate to Appearance > Editor > header.php.
- Paste the copied meta tag just below the <head> tag and save the changes.
- Go back to google webmaster tools and click on the VERIFY button.
NOTE: If you change your WordPress theme, you have to paste the meta verification code again in the header.php file.
3. Verify your Site Ownership with Yoast SEO Plugin
This is the easiest method to verify your website ownership. You just need to paste the verification code into the plugin webmaster settings. To do so, follow the steps:
You will find the verification code in your search console account using the HTML tag option. Just copy the code written inside the content attribute. See below for reference.
- Download and Activate the Yoast SEO Plugin.
- On your WordPress admin dashboard, navigate to SEO > Dashboard.
- Under Webmaster tools, add the verification code in the Google Search Console field.
- Click Save changes. Go back to the webmaster tool and click on the VERIFY button.
That’s it from this article. Use any of the above verification methods to add your site to Google Webmaster tools. Once you have done the verification, you need to submit an XML Sitemap to Google.
If you encounter any problem with adding your site to google, feel free to comment down below. You will get an immediate response. Please share this article with your friends.