Do you want to install a WordPress Theme? In this WordPress Guide, I have provided a detailed step by step instructions on how to install a theme on your WordPress website. After installing the WordPress on your domain, the next step every beginner do is to search for a quality WordPress theme on the Internet. After finding the right WordPress theme for your website, you would want to install and activate it to your website.
In this tutorial, I will talk about 3 different ways you can use to install a WordPress theme. Installing a theme is not a difficult task, but if you are changing your existing theme to a new theme, I’ll suggest you take a look at the WPbeginner guide on things to do before changing WordPress theme.
Install Free WordPress Theme via WordPress Theme Dashboard
This is the easiest way to install a Free WordPress theme. WordPress Dashboard provides thousands of free themes which are easily available inside the WordPress admin theme dashboard. Follow the steps below:
- Login to your WordPress wp-admin page via http://yourdomainname.com/wp-admin. Replace yourdomainname.com with your actual domain name.
- At the left-side navigation menu, go to Appearance > Themes.
- Now click on “Add New” button at the top to go the WordPress Theme Dashboard. Here, you can search and install themes from thousands of available free themes. You can also narrow down your search by using the “feature filter” option or you can search for a specific keyword such as blog, business, news, sports, magazine, etc.
- Once you have decided which theme you want to use, move your cursor over that theme and click Install to install that theme.
- Now click on Activate to make it your currently active theme.
That’s it. You have successfully installed WordPress theme via WordPress Dashboard. You can check and customize features of your theme using theme customizer by navigating through Appearance > Customize.
Upload a Downloaded Theme via WordPress Dashboard
If you have downloaded a WordPress theme as a .zip file into your computer. You can install that theme using the upload method from your WordPress Theme Dashboard. This method comes as handy when you have purchased a premium theme from ThemeForest. Before uploading the theme make sure the theme is compressed as a .zip file.
- Go to your WordPress theme dashboard by clicking on Appearance > Themes.
- Click on the Add New button at the top, on the next screen Click Upload Theme.
- Click Choose File button. Select the file from your computer and click Install Now button.
- Now your theme will be installed and a successful message for installing theme will appear on the screen. Now click on “Activate” link to successfully install and activate your downloaded WordPress Theme.
How to Install a WordPress Theme via FTP ( File Transfer Protocol)
This method is an advanced tutorial guide on installing a WordPress Theme. If you are a beginner or installing a WordPress theme for the first, I advise you to go with caution before using this method. For installing a WordPress theme via an FTP, you need to have an FTP software installed on your computer like FileZilla Client or you can access FTP using your hosting c-panel.
Make sure you unzip the .zip downloaded file of WordPress Theme. You can use Winrar or 7zip for unzipping any zip files. So you have unzipped the theme folder. Now you need to upload the theme to WordPress Theme directory which is [wp-content/themes]. Follow the steps mentioned below for detailed instructions:
- Login to your FTP account using FileZilla.
- Go to wp-content/themes. Upload the unzipped theme folder here and this will automatically install the theme. Note: Here you can find all your installed theme folders. You can delete any unactivated theme if you want to do so.
- Now go need to activate the theme, login to WordPress Dashboard. Go to Appearance > Themes.
- Here you will find the installed theme via FTP. Hover the mouse over the theme and click on Activate button.
That’s it from this WordPress Guide. You can use any one of the above-mentioned 3 ways to install a WordPress theme. If you need any help or guidance related to WordPress, let me know in the comment section below.
Read more WordPress Guide:
Please follow and subscribe HowTo Article on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.